One of our very favorite tools to use is a Kreg Jig. A Kreg Jig is a pocket hole jig that makes it super simple to join two pieces of wood together. Using a Kreg Jig to join wood makes your projects instantly more professional and it’s very easy to use.
Which Kreg Jig do I need?
There are several Kreg Jig systems that have different pros and cons depending on what you’re doing. It’s good to have a handle with all of them, but most importantly to pick one and be comfortable with it.
Comparing Kreg Jigs:
- Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System– wood clamps into the system and has the ability to do many holes quickly.
- Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320– very versatile system that clamps on to pieces of wood, can be expanded, and dials in thicknesses with ease.
- Kreg Jig R3 Pocket Hole System– clamps on to pieces of wood, great for working with long boards.
We’re only including three systems here, because these are really the main ones for a novice woodworker. The K4 is the best system regularly, as it allows for easily setting marks for the wood you’re working with. It’s versatile for multiple holes as well. The 320 and R3 have to be clamped on and unclamped on each board you’re trying to do, adding a little annoyance and less precision. However, it is better for trying to work with long boards that you can’t easily stand up in a K4. The 320 is also the newest series and adds unique measuring elements and ease of use for new woodworkers and virtually takes the place of the R3.
Each system will come complete with a special Kreg drill bit and square driver bit. You’ll also need the appropriate screw for the thickness of your wood.
How to use a Kreg Jig
Steps to use a Kreg Jig:
Steps for how to use a Kreg Jig vary slightly depending on which system you are using, but the overall idea is the same.
- Set the drill guide to the thickness of your wood material
- Set the collar of the drill bit to the thickness of your wood material
- Clamp your wood into the system and drill your necessary pocket holes
- Use the appropriate length Kreg screw and the Kreg specific square head driver bit to attach your pieces
Other helpful Kreg tools:
They have lots of other tools and accessories on their website, but the ones we use most often include:
- Mobile Project Center– this collapsible work table is perfect for so many types of projects. It folds flat and expands to work with all sorts of projects, giving you a mobile work station wherever you need it.
- Right angle clamp– this clamp is super handy for joining your wood together and ensuring your angles are squared up.
- Multi Mark– this is a super handy tool to make small measurements, draw exact markings, draw angles and make sure things are level.
Kreg Jig Projects
We have done so many simple and fun projects with our Kreg products.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you click through and make a purchase, we receive a small percentage of the sale. Thanks for your support!
| || || || |