Need to take a seat in the shower or put your leg up for shaving? Modern showers don’t include any ledges, so whip together this DIY wooden shower stool and put it to good use!
This stool is super simple to make and needs just one board cut into four pieces. Scroll down to check it out and get the FREE printable PDF plans to build it yourself!
Want to add a bench to a tub-shower combination? We’ve got that too. Check out our plans for a DIY tub bench!
How to build a wooden shower stool
A shower stool is a great upgrade for many bathroom showers! Here is our step by step guide to how to build a shower seat.
- One 6′ long common 2″x10″ board
- Spar urethane or other waterproof sealant
- Miter saw
- Kreg Jig K4
How to build the shower stool
Cut all the pieces and sand them down. Add pocket holes to the legs and stretcher as laid out in the plans.
Attach the legs to the bottom of the seat.
Attach the stretcher between the legs
Seal to keep it from getting moldy.
What kind of wood do you use for a shower bench?
You have two options for wood when building a shower stool.
First, you could use any wood that you prefer and seal it with a water-grade sealant. This will waterproof any type of wood. We prefer Spar Urethane.
Second, you could use a type of wood that naturally repels water and moisture. These woods are less likely to mold and rot.
Why put a bench in a shower?
If you have to ask, you probably don’t need a bench in your shower!
But really, there are a few good reasons to put a bench in your shower:
- Storage – a bench can serve as a spot to set shampoo bottles or similar items if you don’t have a shower ledge.
- Relaxation – want to sit in your shower and just feel the heat and steam all around you? That’s pretty hard to do without a stool!
- Convenience – people who shave their legs will understand how convenient it is to have a stool in your shower to prop their foot up!
- Accessibility – shower stools are a great option for people who have difficulty standing on their own for too long.
- Decor – shower stools can have a decorative look and are often featured in magazines and real estate photos, especially in larger showers.
Will this bench work in a bath tub?
As long as it fits inside your tub, it will work. However, we also have plans for a bench specifically for tubs that rests on the two ledges!
DIY Shower bench plans
Click here or use the widget below to get the FREE printable plans with a cut list and step by step guide to making this project!
Make a simple wooden shower stool with these instructions and the full printable PDF plans we offer.
- 6 foot long 2x10 board of your choice
- miter saw, cordless drill, pocket hole jig
- Cut legs, stretcher and seat top according to PDF plans
- Attach legs to seat top using pocket holes
- Attach stretcher to legs using pocket holes
- Seal and use.
Can we send you our newsletter?
Another great way to keep up with out latest projects is by joining our weekly newsletter! Get alerts of our latest projects and special peeks behind the scenes!
Follow along on Instagram
Join our online community where we share real time behind the scenes looks at our DIY projects and peeks inside our home + family!