I love decorating with a Coastal Christmas theme – in fact, we have a whole beachy Christmas tree every year! So, when I signed up for a handmade ornament exchange, I knew that I wanted to make something coastal to represent Charleston.
These sand ball ornaments were actually inspired by art that I saw on our trip to Bermuda. Specifically, there were picture frames covered in sand for sale at a market. I made a note in my phone to try out the technique for a Christmas ornament!
You could do this project with the sand inside the ornament as well, but we already did that! I wanted to try a different technique for an all-over sand look.
This ornament is a great way to remember a trip to the beach. How cool would it be to make one a year from your summer vacation sand?
DIY Sand Ball Ornament
What you need to make the DIY sand ball ornaments:
- Fillable ornament balls, glass or plastic
- Tacky glue
- Foam paint brush
- Ribbon of choice
- Spray sealant in a clear matte
How to make the sandy beach ball ornament:
- To prepare – you need you sand in a cup or glass and a paper plate.
- Apply tacky glue to the outside of the ornament and use a brush to paint it on to completely cover the ball.
- Hold the glue-covered ornament over a paper plate. Slowly rotate the ornament as you pour sand over the surface. Continue until you cover the entire ornament. Tap off any excess sand into the paper plate.
- Fold the paper plate slightly in half to easily pour the excess sand back into your cup.
- Allow the glue to dry for at least one hour.
- Tap off any excess sand.
- Spray the ornament with a clear sealant. Allow to dry.
- Add a ribbon for hanging if desired. Enjoy your beach memory ornament!
Are you making ornaments yet?
| || || || |
This post was last updated on