I have been talking about building a toolbox for approximately three years. But I’ve always had it on the back burner because I had an actual deadline project going on, like building DIY side tables or something. Meanwhile, I kept spending three or four trips juggling small tools for different projects up and down the stairs whenever we worked upstairs. Now I feel dumb because I finally built one and it was the fastest project I’ve probably ever done. I want to share with you how to build a toolbox in 30 minutes.
DIY Toolbox Build
This toolbox can be built in 30 minutes from one piece of 2’x2′ plywood and a short piece of dowel. I designed this toolbox to work well for carrying several smaller items for projects.
For example, think about what you need just to hang a picture. A hammer, nails, pencil, level, measuring tape or ruler. If it’s a big thing you’re hanging, you might also need a drill and drywall anchors. That’s a lot of stuff to carry for such a simple project. It’s easy to put it all in this toolbox.
We have all the steps to build this toolbox in the how-to card below, but here’s the basic premise:
Start by making all the cuts. You’ll need a table saw or a circular saw. Then drill your holes for the handle on the two end pieces.
Start by attaching the end pieces to the bottom piece using nails or screws. Then, attached the two long side pieces to the outside of that the same way.
Finally, insert the dowel through the holes and nail or screw into place.
That’s it! Literally takes less than 30 minutes. You can stain or paint your toolbox or leave it plain. Considering you’re going to be tossing tools in there, that seems like a good way to go.
Hope you love it! Download the full instructions and cut list below and share pictures with us on Instagram @CharlestonCrafted!
- 2'x2' sheet of 1/2" plywood
- 1 dowel
- Table saw or circular saw
- Drill with spade bit
- Nail gun or screws
- Start by making your cuts
- Bottom (1)- 17"x9"
- End pieces (2)- 9"x12"
- Outside pieces (2)- 18"x6"
- Dowel (1)- 19"
- On the two end pieces, mark the midway point on the 12" sides. Then, make a mark 3.5" in from each side on one of the 9" sides. Draw lines from the marks and cut off those angles.
- Drill a hole half an inch down from the top of the two end pieces.
- Attach the end pieces to the outside of the bottom piece.
- Attach the two outside pieces to the outside of the box.
- Slide the dowel through the holes and secure with a nail or screw from the top.
- Stain or paint as desired.
- Ryobi 10 in. Portable Table Saw with Rolling Stand
- Ryobi One+ 18V Lithium Ion Drill/Driver
- Ryobi Cordless Circular Saw
- Ryobi Cordless Brad Nailer
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
| || || || |