This You Are Our Greatest Adventure Sign is a simple DIY that makes a big impact! Check out the tutorial below.
I have been loving putting the finishing touches on our tropical jungle nursery. One of the last steps has been adding art to the walls. I wanted to add some art but didn’t want it to be too busy because we already have a lot going on with the tropical leaf wallpaper.
So, I decided to stick to black + white + wood tones for my art.
The nursery door actually opens straight into a wall and I thought that this was the perfect place for a piece of art. I considered a large canvas or some plywood animals (which still might happen… just later and in a different spot) but settled on a pennant or banner.
While the obvious theme of our nursery is jungle, thanks to that wallpaper, I wanted to do something a little more vague in this spot. One thing that Sean & I share and would like to instill in our kids is a love of the outdoors + a sense of adventure.
A little poking on the internet lead me to a few ideas, but I settled on the phrase “you are our greatest adventure”. It inspires you to be adventurous but also hints to the excitement that we feel about having our first child!
Here’s how I made the super simple sign. It was all from supplies that we had on hand and we made it really quickly!
How to make a You Are Our Greatest Adventure Sign
What you need:
- 1/4 thick plywood
- Saw of choice
- Sander, sand paper
- Stain of choice
- Rope – about 2 feet
- Paint brush
What you do:
- Cut the plywood to your desired shape. I drew a template on newspaper first and held it up in the room to be sure I liked the size. Then, Sean used his miter saw to cut it out.
- Sand the cuts smooth.
- Use a drill to drill holes in each corner for the rope. Sand if necessary.
- Stain or paint the plywood.
- Use a paintbrush + paint to write your design on the sign. I recommend using a pencil or chalk to trace out your letters first to be sure that you are happy with the spacing and placement.
- Once dry, add the rope. Tie a knot in one end, loop the other end through each hole (so the knot is on the back). Pull until you have the desired length of rope and then stick through the second hole and tie a knot.
Be sure to click over and check out our Jungle Theme Nursery Reveal!
- 1/4 inch plywood
- rope - 2' in length
- sander + sand paper
- paint brush
- Cut plywood to desired size and shape
- Drill hole in each of the top 2 corners
- Sand smooth
- Stain or paint wood
- Use paint to write phrase on the wood sign
- String rope through holes and tie knots behind each hole
- Hang and enjoy
Have you been crafting any signs lately?
| || || || |