Have a pet stained sofa? Here is the best way to get Pet Urine Odor out of a Microfiber Couch!
Looking to get pet urine smells out of your couch? You are in the right place! If you are looking for more great pet ideas (we have a cat and a dog!) check out all of our pet projects here.
I have a problem. I love my little kitty cat; he is the fluffiest, snuggliest little baby I know, but he has decided that my couch cushion is his litter box.
Any time I leave him alone, he pees on the cushion. It’s weird because he very rarely does it anywhere else!
I’m working on getting him to stop- I’ve used pheromones, I lock him up while I’m gone during the day- but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
I have taken him to the vet and they said nothing is wrong with him- it is just behavioral. Lucky me.
I’m really sad because I feel like my couch is being ruined. So, I combed the internet for cleaning techniques to deodorize the sofa.
My couch is microfiber and from Ashley Furniture. I desperately want a new couch, but am afraid that he will ruin it immediately.
Click here to pin this process to your Pinterest board
What is the best urine cleaner for a couch?
Baking soda + white vinegar is a natural way to clean pee stained upholstery. Plus, you probably already have it on hand!
For tougher stains, an enzyme cleaner like Nature’s Miracle is your best bet.
Process for getting pee smell out of couch
So, in the meantime, here is what I do to clean the couch cushions:
- As soon as you discover the “accident,” use paper towels or a white cloth to soak up as much as possible.
Luckily, Cesar usually doesn’t go very much- another clue to me that this is just behavioral.
- As soon as possible, fully saturate the area with an enzyme cleaner. I like Nature’s Miracle.
Follow the directions on the bottle, but some say to use a white rag to soak up the moisture after 5-10 minutes.
- If you want to do a deep cleaning, take the cushion covers off of the couch & run them through the washer with 1 cup of vinegar. Unfortunately my cushion covers are sewn to the foam cushion. You can’t take them off without ruining the couch.
- Take the cushions off of the sofa. I set mine on my screened porch. Spray with a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 warm water. I sprayed until they were very wet all over.
5. Then, sprinkle the entire cushion with baking soda. I sprinkled heavily, using a whole box on the 2 cushions.
6. Let sit for at least an hour- I left mine over night.
7. Vacuum well. I used the brush attachment and vacuumed slowly, twice in each direction (vertical & horizontal).
Then I placed the cushions back on the couch.
8. Optional- I scotch guarded my whole couch again once I got it clean.
This will hopefully help in the future (it was also scotch guarded when I bought it about a year and a half ago.)
9. Finally, I sprayed the whole thing heavily in Febreeze. I like the super odor eliminating kind, especially for pet odors.
That’s it! That’s how to get dog smell out of microfiber couch.
My couch seriously smells and feels 10,000 times better! I am very happy with this system- it took a little time but was physically easy and used all ingredients I already had. Most importantly, it worked!
How to Get Pet Urine Odor out of a Microfiber Couch
This is the best and easiest way to get pet urine smells out of a sofa or couch. It works well on all furniture and carpet or rugs, too!
- Paper towels
- Enzyme cleaner
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Scotch guard
- Air freshener
- Spray bottle
- Washing machine
- Use paper towels to soak up as much of the moisture as possible.
- Fully saturate the area with an enzyme cleaner, following the directions on the bottle.
- If you have removable cushion covers - take the cushion covers off of the couch & run them through the washer with 1 cup of vinegar.
- Spray cushions with a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 warm water
- Sprinkle the entire cushion heavily with baking soda.
- Let sit for at least an hour.
- Vacuum clean.
- Optional- apply scotch guard to help protect in the future.
- Spray with Febreeze or odor eliminator of choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How do I get dog pee out of a microfiber couch?
Apply a stain remover to the couch. You can use white vinegar + baking soda or Nature’s Miracle. Let sit and then vacuum thoroughly.
How do you get the pee smell out of a couch that has been dried?
You can still use white vinegar or nature’s miracle to remove stains from a couch even if the pee stains are dry. However, you are going to need to scrub harder to get the dried stains up.
If that doesn’t work, try a steam cleaner. This will loosen up the stains and make them easier to remove.
How do you clean a badly stained microfiber couch?
Use a stain remover to blot at the stains as much as possible. Vinegar + baking soda can be a great option using things from your kitchen. After scrubbing it, vacuum the couch to help finalize the clean.
What cleans urine out of a couch?
Nature’s Miracle is your best bet for neutralizing urine smells in upholstery.
Do you have any tips for cleaning pet odors? What about for keeping them from being bad in the first place?
Click here to pin this process to your Pinterest board
**Edited to add: if you have further problems with deep pet stains (especially in carpets or upholstery), we love our Bissell spot clean stain remover.
Check out the (unsolicited/not-sponsored/we genuinely bought and love it) review here!
Looking for something?
We’ve been doing this since 2012 so we have a LOT of blog posts! Search stuff like: Ceiling Projects | DIY Plant Stands | Thrift Flips
how to get dog pee smell out of couch | Animal Types
Thursday 9th of December 2021
[…] Read Review Sep 15, 2021 — These hacks and tricks will help you get rid of pet stains so you can keep your odor-free. How to Clean Fresh Pet Urine From Your Carpet. While … F 26 […]
how to clean urine from microfiber couch - DecorStatus
Tuesday 30th of November 2021
[…] Getting Pet Urine Odor out of a Microfiber Couch – Charleston Crafted […]
How to Get Smells out of a Microfiber Couch - SwankyDen.com
Friday 2nd of April 2021
[…] Follow up with an enzyme cleaner. Check your couch’s care tag to see what kind of cleaner you can use. A “W” or “SW” means you can use a water-based cleaner. An enzyme cleaner is specially designed to break down urine crystals and other things that cause pet-related odors. […]
How to Get Smells Out of a Microfiber Couch - SwankyDen.com
Friday 12th of March 2021
[…] Follow up with an enzyme cleaner. Check your couch’s care tag to see what kind of cleaner you can use. A “W” or […]
Saturday 25th of July 2020
[...] Read More: charlestoncrafted.com/getting-pet-urine-odor-out-of-a-microfiber-couch/ [...]