I love mixing up my mantel decor for each season. However, it can get expensive to buy new decor. It can also be cumbersome to store a lot of out of season accessories!
I have decorated my mantel a lot and love to use things that were either gathered from around my home or my yard! Shop your house to decorate on a budget without having to buy anything new.
We also gave our fireplace a budget makeover. You can see how we extended our fireplace to the ceiling with molding here.
How do I decorate my mantel?
I suggest setting yourself up for success with a basic decor design. Our mantel is crisp white with clean molding lines. I added a large painting (with about 1-2″ of white space around it) that stays there all the time. I just change out what is sitting literally on the mantel for the season.
What can I use to decorate my mantel?
- Books (stacked or lined up)
- Framed art (shop your house!)
- Candles + candlesticks
- Vases + flowers
- Jars – jelly jars, old candle jars, etc are perfect for small flowers
- Sticks – sticking up or laying flat
- Seasonal produce like pumpkins or gourds in fall, pomegranates in winter, fruit in summer
- Greenery – branches, vines, cuttings from bushes
- Fresh florals
- Faux florals
- Wooden accents – craft stores have tons of small wooden items that can be painted
- Anything that inspires you!
Mantel decorating tips:
- Use items with different heights and sizes to create interest
- Layer decor for a more full, collected look
- Mix natural elements with man made items
- Don’t obsess over symmetry
- Pick 2-4 colors to keep everything cohesive
- You can add command hooks or small nails to help keep items in place
- When in doubt, keep it simple! Less is more, too much can look cluttered.
Here are my best inexpensive mantel decor ideas!
| || || || |