OK, I’m not a home wrecker, calm down. I just love homewreckers! No, no, no, again, calm down. I’m talking about the half-pound, foot-long hot dogs at the Charleston RiverDogs games! These precious beauties are one of the highlights of our evenings out at the ballpark. RiverDogs games are a ton of fun and they have some of the coolest food and beverages options available. The Homewrecker boasts the statistics I already shared and has the capability of holding three toppings of your choice. This year, Morgan surprised me with a RiverDogs Valentine’s Day present that included a voucher for 10 hot dogs. I decided that I would take it upon myself to try a bunch of different combinations of toppings and come to a conclusion as to the best one. So, here they are:
- Pimento Cheese, Coleslaw and Bacon– they should call this combination South in your Mouth. Classic southern flavors abound on this hot dog. The creaminess of the pimento cheese, the cool bite of the coleslaw and the massive crunch of the bacon makes this a winner any day.
- Nacho Cheese, BBQ Sauce and Onions– do you like hot dogs that are covered in ketchup and mustard and relish? Well take a minute and change up your sauces to this wonderful combination of tangy BBQ sauce and nacho cheese. The onion crunch makes it that much better with the smooth sauces.
- Chili, Nacho Cheese and Bacon– this is a classic American hot dog with a bacon twist. Chili and cheese hot dogs are great on any occasion, but add some crunch bacon and you’ll be in Heaven.
- Pimento Cheese, Bacon and Pickled Okra- I wasn’t so sure about this one at first. I’d never had pickled okra before, but it’s a southern staple so I had to try it. It’s a little sour but full of flavor. Pair it with pimento cheese and chunks of bacon and you’re in for a treat.
- Nacho Cheese, Jalapeños, and Onions- in the mood for a little Mexican flair on your hot dog? This combination is like getting a plate of nachos and subbing out the chips for a cylinder of meat.
- Coleslaw, Carolina BBQ Sauce, and Pickled Okra- yes, Carolina BBQ sauce and regular BBQ sauce are different. The vinegar consistency changes. Bring in that cool coleslaw and the semi-sour pickled okra and you’re in for a mouth-spasm.
I’m not ranking these because they are all delicious. I’d probably say that the pimento cheese, coleslaw and bacon combo is my favorite just because it is the one that I turn to most often. Your favorite will depend on your taste buds. The best thing to do is to try out several combinations and see what you like and what you don’t like. You won’t find a bad combination. Trust me, this is what the RiverDogs are famous for and they won’t guide you wrong. So swing over to Dog World the next time you’re at a RiverDogs game and check my name out soon on the Wall of Fame.
What’s your favorite Homewrecker combination?