I have been wanting to update our front door with a coat of paint, but just haven’t gotten around to it. Well, the One Room Challenge is pushing me to get on some things that I have been putting off! I decided that I didn’t want to paint just the outside of the front door but the inside as well. I pulled a selection of mint and teal colors but decided on Sherwin Williams’ Watery. I picked it up in an exterior grade paint in a semi gloss.
Before I painted the outside of the door, I decided to update the kick plate from gold to silver. I thought that it would be removable but it actually wasn’t, so I just taped it off and sprayed it with a metallic silver spray paint. I actually let it dry for an entire week before painting the rest of the door to be sure that it was really dry.
I rolled the door using a high density foam roller and a small foam brush. Each side of the door took six light coats to get an even finish. It took a while (I allowed at least 30 minutes of dry time between coats) but was very simple and most of the time was passive drying time.
On the inside of the door, I decided to try something a little different. I actually taped off the 6 panels and left them white. This is similar but the reverse of the effect that we did on the condo’s front door interior. I know that the look is not for everyone, but I think that it adds some interest. The color is perfect for this room!
I am so excited for this simple and inexpensive update and the big impact that it had!